In your first few days at the Sustainable Minerals Institute there are a number of tasks to introduce you to the Institute and help you to settle in smoothly.
Once you have arrived, meet with the SMI’s Postgraduate Office Staff in the first instance to discuss enrolment and candidature matters. The office is located on Level 6 of the Sir James Foots Building, rooms 621 and 645.
New postgraduate candidates will meet:
- His/her advisor(s)
- SMI’s Postgraduate Coordinator
- The IT Services Officer
- Ms Fei Yu, Liaison Librarian for SMI
- SMI’s Occupational Health and Safety Officer, Mr Ryan Anderson, to organise a safety induction and a building orientation
- SMI's EDIN Equity & Diversity Information Networker
- The Director of his/her research centre
- The SMI Director
- His/her student mentor from the enrolled research Centre
- Meet the Centre’s Finance/HR Manager and Receptionist to organise scholarship payment, computer, key, swipecard access to building
Complete the following compulsory Online Induction Modules:
If you have not completed your Intellectual Property agreement before commencing your studies, it is important to make an appointment with the lawyer at Student Help on Campus to complete this agreement.
International candidates should attend a “Getting started” session, which will introduce you to life in Brisbane and some important information at the commencement of your studies.
UQ holds an Orientation week for new students at the beginning of each semester. There are various workshops and information sessions that will help you to settle into your studies. Attend a mini-orientation if you arrive at another time during the year.
The Postgraduate Coordinator will meet with you and your advisors after your first 3 months of candidature, to check that you are settling into your studies well.