History of JKMRC

Mining and Metallurgical Engineering began at The University of Queensland (UQ) in 1950 with the aim of developing:

  • a close association with the industry, initially in Queensland, and progressively throughout Australia and internationally
  • a strong focus on research and particularly on postgraduate research
The success of this model laid the foundations for the Julius Kruttschnitt Mineral Research Centre (JKMRC) which opened in 1970. Since then JKMRC has grown to become an internationally-recognised mineral and mining research and postgraduate training centre. In 1986 JKTech was established as the commercial division of JKMRC.

The approach of JKMRC to industry funding, postgraduate training and the effective transfer of research outcomes to the industry became the blueprint for the establishment of three new specialist research Centres through the 1990s:

As 2000 approached, a new wave of thinking swept through the international minerals industry, centred on the concept of Sustainable Development. Within UQ a proposal was developed for a new research institute to expand the University's existing minerals-related research capacity to address the wider social and sustainability challenges facing the global resource industry.

In 2001 JKMRC became one of the research centres within the newly established Sustainable Minerals Institute.