Health and safety researcher to bridge disciplines for better industry outcomes

6 May 2024
MISHC Research Fellow Nyssa Nair

The Sustainable Minerals Institute (SMI) is pleased to welcome Nyssa Nair, a health and safety specialist who aims to improve industry outcomes by integrating data science, cutting-edge research, and industry experience.  

Nyssa, who is based in SMI’s Minerals Industry Safety and Health Centre (MISHC), is an expert in process safety and risk management, with a particular focus on improving practice by incorporating machine learning tools and data-driven approaches.

“I see my work as a bridge between disciplines – it’s about leveraging data science tools to revolutionise health and safety practices in industry settings,” Nyssa said.

“To achieve that I would like to emphasise collaboration between industry and academia, and translate research into actionable solutions.

“During my ten years as a process engineer at a Major Hazard Facility, I was involved in all aspects of the business, from operational support, incident investigation, process optimisation and project identification for increasing plant throughput, as well as manufacturing reporting, asset management, management accounting, and project capitalisation.

“I then transitioned into research following a period of maternity leave and began my PhD, which for me was an opportunity to translate my industry experience into an impactful academic career.

“My PhD research brings together two domains, Computer Science and Bioprocess Engineering, and has introduced me to a magnitude of opportunities within industry where computer science tools, mainly machine learning tools and artificial intelligence, can be integrated by exploiting existing data.

“At MISHC, my research focus is to support the development of informed process safety management practices using industry data from incidents and current practice, through the application of advanced data and machine learning tools.

“I will also be teaching into the university and providing training for industry that implements leading research and best practices.”

MISHC Director Professor Maureen Hassall said the Centre is delighted to welcome Nyssa. 

"Nyssa brings a wealth of experience that will further enhance MISHC’s safety engineering and advance data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities," Professor Hassall said. 

"Her expertise in chemical manufacturing and bioprocessing will be invaluable in expanding our research and enriching the delivery of our undergraduate and Masters courses, as well as our industry professional development training."

If you would like to discuss how you may be able to collaborate with Nyssa, can contact her at n.nair@uq.edu.au.